Re: Help! Tar won't work!

Dan Smith wrote:

> The first few archives I opened with tar worked fine,
> but then it stopped working.  I installed cpio and the
> first few tars I opened with it worked fine too, but
> then it stopped functioning as well.  I tried
> reinstalling both, to no avail.  What happens is, I
> type the command to untar an archive, and it scrolls
> up a line and the next line is just blank, and the
> whole thing freezes until I hit CTRL-C, at which point
> I'm back at the prompt again.  I can tell it isn't
> doing anything during this time because the HDrive
> light isn't on and it isn't making any drive noises.
> Help!

Well, if you're doing a tar extraction, and you don't specify an input
file with the 'f' option, and you don't use '< <filename>' to tell the
shell you're input's coming from <filename>, then tar will try to get
it's input from the keyboard, and I would bet that that's what's
happening to you.  Maybe you're doing something like:

tar xfv filename

instead of

tar xvf filename?

(Next time, at least tell us what you're typing.  Why keep us in the
dark if you want help?)