Re: A file's permission controler

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Khalid EZZARAOUI wrote:

> Do someone know if there is a programme that is able to controle :
>         - the permision right of all or part file installed in a debian
> machin including the directory's right.
>         - the presence of the more importante or used file, directorys
> (/dev/audio, /dev/cdrom, ....)
>         - and create them if root says to do it
>
> if not, I am interesting to create one, with your help of course.

Khalid

Could you be asking about chmod? That file utility sets
permissions for the file owner, file group, and others, and
devices as well.  An extract from the man page is:

CHMOD(1)                                                 CHMOD(1)

NAME
       chmod - change the access permissions of files

SYNOPSIS
       chmod   [-Rcfv]   [--recursive]   [--changes]   [--silent]
       [--quiet] [--verbose] [--help] [--version] mode file...

DESCRIPTION

       The format of a symbolic mode  is  `[ugoa...][[+-=][rwxXs-
       tugo...]...][,...]'.   Multiple symbolic operations can be
       given, separated by commas.

       A combination of the letters `ugoa' controls which  users'
       access  to  the file will be changed: the user who owns it
       (u), other users in the file's group (g), other users  not
       in  the  file's  group  (o), or all users (a).  If none of
       these are given, the effect is as if `a' were  given,  but
       bits that are set in the umask are not affected.

       The  operator  `+'  causes  the permissions selected to be
       added to the existing permissions of each file; `-' causes
       them  to  be  removed;  and `=' causes them to be the only
       permissions that the file has.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies.)