Re: VIM questions

Steve Lamb hat gesagt: // Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 03:15:05PM +0100, Dave Swegen wrote:
> > 1) For some reason vim inists on showing file stats at the bottom of the
> > screen whenever I edit a file. It isn't too bad normally, but when I
> > invoked from mutt it waits for me to press a key. Very annoying. How do I
> > get rid of that behaviour?
>
>     I'd love to know how to shut that thing off as well.  Completely unneeded
> and annoying as all hell.

One solution is hidden in the VIM-docs. See options.txt.

						*'shortmess'* *'shm'*
'shortmess' 'shm'	string	(default "")
			global
			{not in Vi}
	This option helps to avoid all the |hit-return| prompts caused by file
	messages, for example  with CTRL-G, and to avoid some other messages.
	It is a list of flags:
	 flag	meaning when present	~
	  f	use "(3 of 5)" instead of "(file 3 of 5)"

	 [plus more flags...]

	This gives you the opportunity to avoid that a change between buffers
	requires you to hit return, but still gives as useful a message as
	possible for the space available.  To get the whole message that you
	would have got with 'shm' empty, use ":file!"
	Useful values:
	    shm=	No abbreviation of message.
	    shm=a	Abbreviation, but no loss of information.
	    shm=at	Abbreviation, and truncate message when necessary.

Plus you will want to read message.txt's explanation of |hit-retrun|
messages:

							*hit-return*
>  Press RETURN or enter command to continue
This message is given when there is something on the screen for you to read,
and the screen is about to be redrawn:
- After executing an external command (e.g., ":!ls" and "=").
- Something is displayed on the status line that is longer than the width of
  the window, or runs into the 'showcmd' or 'ruler' output.

To reduce the number of hit-return prompts:
- Set 'cmdheight' to 2 or higher.
- Add flags to 'shortmess'.
- Reset 'showcmd' and/or 'ruler'.

--