Re: having trouble with kernel 2.2.5 and ppp

On %M 0, Seth Turner wrote
> Hello,
>
> I have recently installed slink from CD on my computer.  With kernel 2.0.36,
> I can use ppp and get connected to the internet (pon ourtown), however when
> I upgrade my kernel to 2.2.5, I loose ppp.  It complains that LCP times out on
> configuration requests.  I will appologize in advance for the length of this
> message, I felt it might help to see what is actually happening.  I am not
> currently subscribed to debian-user, so if anyone could help, would you please
> reply offlist to spiff@ourtownusa.net   thanks.
>
> History:
>
> In the past I have had ppp and kernel 2.2.5 working properly, howver since this
> new installation, it doesn't work.
>
> I have looked at the pages on www.debian.org in requards to kernel version 2.2.X
> Nothing about ppp is mentioned there, that I was able to find.
>
> In compiling the kernel (2.2.5) it mentions that one might need to upgrade pppd
> in order for ppp to work properly.  I am using ppp_2.3.5-2 and also have
> ppp-pam_2.3.5-2 installed (not completely sure what ppp-pam is for).
>
> I have gone through pppconfig again since recompiling the kernel and it did not
> help.
>
> Modem init is currently ATZ, have also tried AT&F.  Neither seem to make a
> difference.
>
> Where the email will get long (again appologies):
>
>[snip]

I've used ppp_2.3.5-2 and kernel 2.2.{6,7,8,9} with no problems, so it
should be possible.

Your log files contain LCP request and reject messages from your end but
only LCP requests from the other end, so it looks as if the other end
is not seeing your machine's LCP requests; in fact the other end seems to
be repeating the same request over and over, ignoring the LCP reject message
that your machine returns each time.  That makes me think that wherever the
immediate problem is, it isn't in your ppp configuration or chatscripts.

I notice that kernel 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 both include patches to the kernel's
ppp driver; I'd suggest that you upgrade to 2.2.9 (works for me) and see
how that works.

Good luck,

John P.
--