Re: Wierd PPP Problems

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Peter Ludwig wrote:

> > You misunderstand.  I'm not telling you or Mr. Hoover to ask the ISP what
> > the problem is, only what a disconnect code (or however it's done on
> > their system) is.

> However, I would most certainly agree with Mr Hasler about the fact that
> most ISP's will say "sorry no-do-linux" and that's it.  I myself was
> connected with one of the big ISP's here in Oz, and well, they decided
> that not supporting linux was going to be a big thing for them.  You
> obviously run an ISP, so... how's this one, would you answer this
> question if it was asked of you?

> "When I'm connecting to the server my ppp connection requires the
> remote-ip address.  What is the remote IP address for your system for
> dial-up accounts?"

> They decided that they could not provide me with that information...
> How's a guy supposed to connect ANYTHING other than win95/98 to their
> system?

Of course they couldn't tell you.  That's cause there is no way for them
to know this in advance!  Any set up that REQUIRES this information is
badly broken.  Fortunately, Linux's set-up doesn't require that
information.

In fact, you don't need any more information to set up dial-in Internet
access with Linux than you do with Windows-9[58], but it helps if you have
some clue about how this stuff works.  From my perspective, your question,
as posed, has no answer.  Until we bring the 5396 on-line, at which point
it will be five, we have four access servers answering calls.  Each one
has its own IP address.  One of those (ernestine) is for permanent
connections, but the other three (bertrand, grover, and cleveland) are
assigned to callers randomly.

So, you call and ask which IP address my access server is going to have
and, unless you're paying for a nailed-up connection, I have to answer "I
don't know" (which is true, how am I to know which AS is going to answer
the call?  Tea Leaves?) and you go away mad because you don't understand
that you don't need the information that you ask for.

> BTW - It was dynamic IP addressing, with the remote end not providing it's
> IP address for the connection, so pppd would not work properly...

Horse Puckey!  I've been doing dynamic-IP with Linux (in both directions)
for the better part of four years, now, and it is painfully easy to set
up.  Simply tell your pppd to accept whatever addresses it is given.
("man pppd" is your friend.)  That works for both local and remote
addresses.  Just let pppd figure out what's going on and everything works
like magic.  If you try to tell my equipment what address you have, it'll
hang up on you.  (I hope!  Keeping a call alive even though it had no
prayer of working was one of the bugs that Ascend was supposed to fix.)

To make dynamic IP addressing work, you simply don't tell pppd anything
about either IP address and, as long as you have the "defaultroute" option
set, it works just fine.  At least it always has for me.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/