Re: Thanks: Installing on a SCSI HD

On Sun, 16 May 1999, Davide Anchisi wrote:

> Subject: Thanks: Installing on a SCSI HD

> Hi David,
> I hope your exams went well.

Hi Davide

My students' exams went well, thanks for asking. Mine was
not as good as I want, but in playing double bass, I am
my own worst enemy. I expect perfection and seldom get it. ;>

> > If you will tell me what your system requires, then after my exams
> > are over, i.e. after May 15, I will compile a kernel and make the
> > kernel available for down load.
>
>  This is my sistem:
>
>  486 processor
>  16 Mb RAM
>  Math coprocessor
>  Floppy disk
> IDE HD (with windows95: VFAT)
> IDE/ATAPI CDROM (ISO9660)
> SCSI host adapter: Adaptec AHA-1510
> SCSI HD
> Serial mouse (3 buttons)
> Sound card: SoundBlaster Pro2
> Italian keyboard (and language)
> Modem

> Is this enough?

Probably enough for me to compile a kernel.

> What about the compiled kernel? Have I to put it in a rescue-disk?
> and, if so, how? Or have I to install debian 2.1 after booting
> from the floppy with the new kernel? and, if so, how to put it
> on a boot floppy and how to install debian?

Once you have a kernel compiled with AHA 1510 support, you follow the
instructions on the floppy. The boot floppy is an MS-DOS disk with
syslinux installed on it. I thought the README on the boot floppy was
more useful to me as a newbie than the syslinux usage instructions and
manual, syslinux.doc.

With regard to how to replace the kernel on the floppy: From DOS (a
DOS window in WIN 95 is sufficient) do a dir with your Linux boot
floppy in the drive. The floppy has a file called linux on it.  This
file is the kernel. You replace this file with your new kernel. There
is README that talks about this.  There are some other things, but you
need to get a kernel that will boot and see your SCSI controller
first.

Once you have the floppy boot the system, you have a small Debian
linux 2.1 system running. You follow the menu to install the 7
base floppies, then reboot and run dselect, choosing the apt
access method. This is important, as apt will avoid the
frustrations of rerunning configure 4 or 5 times.

I suggest you not worry about sound for now, so I won't build in sound
with the first kernel. I will try to create modules for your sound
card.  We can ask on the mailing list if you have trouble configuring
your sound card, as I have limited experience with sould cards.

Meanwhile I'll compile a kernel and figure out where to put for your
access. I'll get back to you in a day or two.

Good Luck to you!

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hope this qualifies!)