dpkg problem

I have a package that has the following code in dselect:
RI--

Package name et 80b2-8

I cannot install or remove this package.  It is stoping me from using apt-get
to update some files for me.  I have tried everything that I can think of to
install or remove this package.  I have used dpkg, dselect, apt-get with all
the opthions that I could find.  How do I corect this so I can use apt-get?

Here is the error message I get from using apt-get:

schramms:/home/schrambm# apt-get -yfm install
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  et
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 38 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0b of archives. After unpacking 314k will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
dpkg: error processing et (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 et
E: Sub-process returned an error code
schramms:/home/schrambm#

Thanks for your help.