Please, help me on getting libc6 to work

Hi,

 I'd installed the lastest unstable package of libc6 (2.1) on my linux
box, meanwhile I tried to downgrade (reason: get java development to
work on it) it for a stable package.

 Has it was being quite difficult (dpkg don't let it do very well) I
did: dpkg -x libc6-xxxxx.deb /

 Conclusion: system hang on boot after:    Freeing unused kernel memory:
36k freed

Meanwhile, I'd installed DOSLinux where I can mount my linuxbox and run
some applications like: dpkg .
My problem it's the following:

$ dpkg -i --root=/mnt/linux/ libc6-2.1xxxxx.deb
(Reading database ... 18185 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.1.1-3 (using libc6_2.1.1-3_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing libc6_2.1.1-3_i386.deb (--install):
 subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation
fault)
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
 libc6_2.1.1-3_i386.deb

Why do I get: Segmentation fault !?

I can i get my linux box to work again without have to reinstall it
again !?

Thanks.

Best regards,
  Nuno Carvalho