Upgrading to Potato over dial-up connection

Having already upgraded to glibc 2.1 and reading recommendations that
one should upgrade to potato if using glibc 2.1, I decided last night to
give it a go.

I have only a dial-up connection and 56K modem. I entered apt-get update
and then apt-get dist-upgrade and went to be. In the morning, 7 hours
later, I was no longer connected and it looked like the upgrade had
happened, although there were error messages in the console about a few
packages apt-get was unable to find. I added a UK mirror to my
apt.sources list and did apt-get dist-upgrade and off it went again for
the few packages remaining. Then it did a full upgrade, with a few minor
problems inbetween.

Wonderful stuff, and if even though I will pay around 80p an hour (just
over 1 USD) for the telephone connection it is still cheaper than buying
the CDs.

I am not entirely happy that apt-get has problems when certain packages
are unavailble. If everything is where it is expected, it goes so
smoothly, but when a few things are missing is just seems to stop dead
in its tracks. I only got by with trial and error.

Nice to be using Potato - the upgrade has actually fixed quite a few
cracks in my previous install. I had used dselect before. Everything is
working as it should.

Just though someone might be interested!

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net