Re: Display issues

*- On 13 May, Pollywog wrote about "Re: Display issues"

> On 13-May-99 Brant Wells wrote:
>> Howdy :)
>>

>> You need to start up a   xterm  session after you run startx.  Do this by
>> going into
>> your $HOME/.xinitrc file and add a line in there somewhere before your
>> window manager
>> (usually the last line) to the effect of
>>
>> xterm&
>>
>> and then try to run those programs after you get into X.
>>

> I am a little confused by this.  I was using an .xinitrc but changed to an
> .xsession after I had some problems and I found something in the Debian
> Tutorial which only mentioned .xsession.  Does it matter which is used,
> .xinitrc or .xsession ?
>

>From the xdm man page

       Then  xdm runs the Xsession script as the user.  This sys­
       tem session file may do some additional startup and  typi­
       cally  runs the .xsession script in the user's home direc­
       tory.  When the Xsession  script  exits,  the  session  is
       over.

>From the startx man page

       Note that in the Debian GNU/Linux system, what many people
       traditionally put in the .xinitrc file should go in .xses­
       sion instead; the idea is that the  user's  X  environment
       should look and act the same whether startx, xdm, or xinit
       is used to start the X session.  All discussion of  .xini­
       trc  below  applies  equally  well  to .xsession.  Keep in
       mind, however, that X sessions started from xdm will  com­
       pletely disregard the .xinitrc file.

So they(.xinitrc and .xsession) are the same but originated from
different camps(startx and xdm).  The Debian way is to use .xsession.
To be safe you can soft link .xinitrc to .xsession.

--
Brian