Re: Sparc Ultra5 (170)

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

> The current sparc port runs on UltraSPARC's. That's not to say that it
> is a 64bit user space. It is only a 32 bit user space, but runs none
> the less. This is the same as the current UltraPenguin and RedHat 6.0.
> There are no native 64bit sparc distributions yet (that was the
> discussion you caught).

This is from the UltraPenguin web page:

UltraLinux is a fast 64bit free operating system, which supports up to 1TB
of physical and another 1TB of IO memory, fully supports Linux/Sparc 32bit
binaries plus will soon support 64bit UltraLinux ELF binaries. It uses the
Visual Instruction Set for high bandwidth operations, even
older 32-bit applications take advantage of this increased performance if
they are dynamically linked. The 64-bit userland for UltraPenguin is half
done, developers have initial statically linked ELF 64-bit binaries
working. We will announce seperately the availability of this so others
can experiment with it and help us out, so please be patient.

SO it looks like it is a 64-bit kernel with a 32-bit user space.