Re: Wierd PPP Problems

	Subject: Re: Wierd PPP Problems
	Date: Tue, May 11, 1999 at 10:26:36PM -0500

Quoting John Hasler(john@dhh.gt.org):
> Chris Hoover writes:
> > I'm having some strange problems with ppp on my dial out server.
> > Everything has been working fine for quite some time (over 51 days of
> > uptime on 2.2.2), and then tonight I started having problems connecting.
> > Does anyone know what is going on, and how to fix it?
>
> At a guess, your ISP changed something.  Does it fail every time, or
> intermittently?  What sort of authentication are you using?  What does your
> chat script look like?
>
> Dial in with minicom and see if anything has changed.
> --
> John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.
> john@dhh.gt.org		   Do with it what you will.
> Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
> Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email advertisements to this address.

John is right, its your ISP.  I used to have a problem like that with
Netcom, twice a year.  Their Support group kept telling me I was doing
something wrong.  My 'fix' for 2 years was to put my ppp-on into a
'Netcom' script that repeated the ppp-on attempts.  It would take
anywhere from 1 to 12 attempts before I got connected.  The problem
would last for a week or two and then, after they got so many
complaints, they would fix it.  Then I would go back to the normal
ppp-on script.

HTH

--
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."
  -- Ken Olson, President of DEC, World Future Society Convention, 1977