Display issues

Everytime I run anything from the command line that requires x I get one of
these errors:

   - unable to open display
   - cannot connect to X server

I can run startx just fine. I don't get display errors there at all.  But
if I type xhost, xtv, or any other x application from the command line I
get one of the above error messages.

I've changed my xf86config file several times to select vga and svga
displays as well as cycled through the cards, and still I get those errors.
Maybe the display errors are unrelated to xf86config setup(?).

Any ideas how I can get these applications to run from the command line
without those error messages popping up?

Thanks!

Andre