Re: libc6-2.1.1 ... safe to install?

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 02:07:32PM +0200, J Horacio MG wrote:
> ~> In article <[🔎] XFMail.990510235837.pollywog@shadypond.com> you wrote:
> ~>
> ~> : On 10-May-99 J Horacio MG wrote:
> ~> :> I have some packages which require version 2.1.1 from libc6 (which I
> ~> :> expect it can be found in potato).  My question is, do I have to expect
> ~> :> any problems if I install it in slink, or is it just as straight forward
> ~> :> as upgrading any other package?
> ~>
> ~> : If you upgrade a slink installation to libc6 2.1.1, you will probably have
> ~> : some problems.  I know I did, and I went back to libc6 2.07
> ~>
> ~> : I suppose you could upgrade to potato and avoid the problems.
> ~>
> ~> : If you try it on a slink system, do not go back from the potato version of
> ~> : ld.so to the slink version or you will break the system; I just kept the newer
> ~> : ld.so when I went back to the older libc6.
> ~>
> ~> Do not upgrade only libc6.  It will break your system if you do.  If
> ~> you want to upgrade to libc6, upgrade all the way to potato.
>
> So, what's the list of what should be upgraded?  I would imagine that
> the first thing to do is to compile and run a 2.2.x kernel, the entire
> potato base directory... what else?

Yes, running 2.2.x kernel is very helpful.  I know that things like
Eterm, and ssh use the new pts/# terminals rather then ttyp#.  The
best way to upgrade from slink to potato, is to edit your
/etc/apt/sources.list file, which contains where you get packages via
ftp or http.  And change stable (or slink) to potato.  Then do a
apt-get update, apt-get upgrade-dist.  This might be a problem
however, since libc6-2.1 conflicts with the timezone package.  This is
because libc6 now provides timezones.  It can be a very complicated mess.

> I've also seen on this thread someone saying about the need to upgrade
> the X system... to xfree 3.3.3?

If your running the current xfree86 version in slink, the upgrade to
3.3.3.1 will be just fine.  Amazingly they did a fairly good job on
it.  It will run fine, I did rerun XF86Setup.  My card is better
supported in 3.3.3.1, and I got my some problems fix doing so.

--
       Dan Nguyen          | It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
    nguyend7@msu.edu       | everyone talks of it, but few have seen it.