Re: setting up a home lan

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 04:14:40PM +0000, Shao Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
> 	Can anyone tell me what are the procedures to set up two computers
> 	to talk to each other via ethernet.
>
> 	In particular, what kind of ip I can choose. Is there a HOWTO on this??

You are free to use the 10.*.*.* and 192.168.*.* IP's.
The appropriate HOWTO's are:
/usr/doc/HOWTO/NET-3-HOWTO.gz (for TCP/IP)
/usr/doc/IPX-HOWTO.gz & doc included with mars (for netware emulation)
/usr/doc/SMB-HOWTO.gz & doc for samba (for WFW/Win9x emulation)

I have configured my home TCP/IP, Samba, mars/netware network
using these sources of information, and everything works great.
With IP-masquerading I managed to give all the local boxes the Internet access
through one only modem and single ISP account!!!

> 	Also, is there any tools like fsck in linux which can repair the fat file
> 	system??

I don't know, but if you use DOS, then you should have the DOS repair tools,
and if you don't use DOS, there is no need for usinf fat fs. Even if your
machine works as the fileserver for DOS machines (with samba or mars), it is
much more efficient to use e2fs for server volumes.

--
			Hope this helps
			Wojciech Zabolotny

http://www.debian.org  Linux - free OS for free people!