wordperfect

I apologize if this has already been beaten to death, but this is my first post and first few minutes in this newsgroup.  I was trying to run wordperfeft 8 on slink.  I originally had a library problem which hours of research has fixed.  I installed old libraries, libc5, xlib6, and xpm4.7.
Wordperfect runs, but the pictures and banners and icons are all scrambled.  When it is starting up the banner that is supposed to have a pen on it and say Wordperfect is just a scrambled mess of vertical lines.  Once it starts, all of the icons loook the same way.  And the window in the corner of screen that stays open to open new documents is scrambled as well.  I'm rather new to linux and my friend is telling me to give up on debian and go to redhat.  I'd rather hack out solutions.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Matt Kokidko
kokaine@mpinet.net