Error in kernel compile

I am using kpkg to compile (or trying to compile) kernel 2.2.5.  I have used this before with success but I am currently having
problems and am wondering if someone can help me figure out where to start on fixing this error.

../../gcc/haifa-sched.c:6749: Internal compiler error in function schedule_block
cpp:  output pipe has been closed
make[3] *** [swapfile.o] Error 1
make[2] *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1] *** [_dir_mm] Error 2
make: *** [build] Error 2

I don't have a clue what all of this means!

Hope this is enough information.  I tried piping kpkg to a logfile and it worked up until the error then closed the logfile
and printed the error to the screen.

Lance