Re: Shell for gunzip so I don't have to remember?

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 04:56:30PM -0500, André Bell wrote:
> Is there a good shell for gunzip so I don't have to remember all the
> operators?
>
> I ask because I must be doing something wrong.  When I ungzip <file>.gz the
> system converts my .gz file to one file with no extension instead of
> unzipping the file and all of its contents.
>
> I know there are multiple files in the gzips that I look at because I can
> view all of the compressed files when I view the contents of the gzip file
> on my pc, just not with gzip on linux :(

Hi Andre
gzip only compresses one file at a time, but those files are almost certainly
tar archives.  (They should end in .tar.gz, but your pc might have truncated
the filenames.)  You can extract them with tar -zvxf <filename>.  You can
also list the files in the archive with tar -ztf <filename>, t being the most
obvious abbreviation for list :-)

Matt

--
Matt Folwell, Trinity College, Cambridge.  CB2 1TQ
mjf36@cam.ac.uk