Re: libc6-2.1.1 ... safe to install?

----- Original Message -----
From: Pollywog <pollywog@shadypond.com>
To: Debian-user list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 1999 1:44 PM
Subject: Re: libc6-2.1.1 ... safe to install?

> I just thought of something.  Maybe Potato works better on the 2.2.x
kernels
> than it does on 2.0.x kernels ??  I cannot upgrade to the newer kernels
yet,
> because I would lose ipfwadm and I am not familiar with ipchains.
>
> --
> Andrew

yes, you're right on the kernel issue, i believe. i have tried to "upgrade"
to potato on a few systems and i wouldn't recommend it to anyone. i've tried
it with 2.0.36 kernels (base, and custom) and every one of the 2.2.X series
of kernels. i think i can say that trying to upgrade to potato from slink is
much more turmoil than it's worth...with dependencies and all, you end up
having to get many more packages than are listed, plus some of the newer
items (the new net stuff per se) do not work with kernel 2.0.36 to the best
of my knowledge. after trying many times to upgrade people's slink systems,
i gave up and made the recommendation that if they want potato, back up
anything important and reinstall the entire system with a potato base. too
much trouble? compared to dealing with endless dependency problems, not
really.

cheers again!