KDE's untimely death

i am having a strange problem with kde... whenever it runs, and i try to open a program, it crashes, IE xdm (or kdm, if i try with that) stops and x exits. i went through a lot of analysis and i came to the odd conclusion by trial and error that, if i log into it with users which don't have sound priveleges, it doesn't die. spotting this strangeness for what it was, i looked in my xsession errors files for the users with which kde stopped running - lo and behold, errors! and here it is:

stretchPixmap 24x4 to 24x128
Could not read '/tmp//kfm-cache-0/index.txt'
kpanel: waiting for windowmanager
kaudioserver: Catching fatal X IO Error. Cleaning up.

ok so, then i logged in as one of my users without sound priveleges again, and in the console as root i did a ps x... kaudioserver does not run. it used to run in the background if i'm not mistaken (if i am please correct me, but on my system anyhow it was running all the time during kde sessions).

i'm new to kde and i have no clue as to a) what happened to my kaudioserver, b) what the heck is that "Could not read '/tmp//kfm-cache-0/index.txt'" nonsense??, or c) how to even begin to fix any of this without uninstalling it all and starting over again.

if anyone can help, or even give me some clues as to what to look for and where, i'd be most appreciative. thanks.