Re: checkdir error

> I have a shell script that unzips multiple files in a directory. This
> directory have 4 subdirectories named 001, ..., 004. Each one have 400
> subdirectories named 001, ..., 400. In each of these 400 subdirectories
> I have 400 html files. The file system( using df ) still have enough
> space for the unpacking and, when running the 4th directory it prints anerror
> like this:
>
>   checkdir error: cannot create 004/022
>                   unable to process 004/022/04022001.html
>
> After that, everything that I try to do, like mkdir, etc. does not work.It
> says that there's not enough space on the device.

You are probably out of either disk space

    df

or out of inodes (room for file names)

    df -i

If you're out of disk space, the solution is obvious. If you're
out of inodes, you could add another disk, or backup your data
and if possible newfs (mkfs) with an option that will give you
more inodes. Sorry, I don't have that option handy at the moment.

Larry Loreman
lll@ismd.ups.com