RE: Gnome missing dependencies

I had exactly the same problem. Being too lazy to compile it myself, I just
grabbed the Rad Hat packages from one of Gnome mirrors and converted them
with 'alien' and then installed with dpkg (yes, I know that "alien -i" would
also install them for me). It mostly worked, though some of the Gnome
features do not seem to work, like adding applets to the panel (or maybe I
screwed the configuration in the process)

Hope this helps.

bst rgds,
Dmitry

--Optimists study English. Pessimists study Chinese. Realists study
Kalashnikov.
                  - russian conventional wisdom