Re: 2 network cards

>On Sat, 8 May 1999, MR wrote:
>
>I have two network cards (1 Intel etherexpress 16, 1 NE2000) in a debian
>system. Both are detected on boot up and both are ifconfig'd. This system
>will be used to connect my little LAN through IP masq to the Internet. For
>various reasons, I am only able to have 1 IP, so that is why I am messing
>around with all this. My problem is that I can not ping another machine on
>my internal LAN from the linux box. The internal LAN is numbered
>192.168.1.x (with the linux box being .1 and the one I am trying to ping
>.3) eth0 is my "external" card and eth1 is the internal one. If I set up a
>route for the internal lan (route add -net 192.168.1.0 eth1) I can ping
>192.168.1.1 (itself), but get a "ping: sendto: Operation not permitted"
>when trying to ping another machine on the internal lan. Any ideas? I have
>tried pinging the linux box from the other machine (which runs Win98). I
>get both activity lights going like they should on the hub and on a card
>from each computer, so the connection is there. Thanks in advance.

If you have installed the ipmasq package, it may be causing the problems.
Ipmasq is usually run fairly early in the startup procedure, after your
ethernet card has been set up; if you configure a second ethernet card
you will have problems using it until you run ipmasq again.

Try running 'ipmasq' as root; if that fixes things, either invoke it
from within whichever file is setting up eth1, or add another link to
/etc/rc2.d (or wherever) to run /etc/init.d/ipmasq after eth1 has been
configured.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au