isp login promblem.

When I execute "pon" to connect to my isp, most of the time I connect
with no problems. But about 10 to 20 percent of the time I get a
different login prompt.  In my pppconfig setup I specified that my login
prompt was "sername:", and when I watch the text scroll  through the
Xconsole, I  do get the "username:" prompt from my isp. But occasionally
I get a "login:" prompt and my dial up  freezes. My question : Is there
a way to specify more than one type of login prompt. Or am I doomed to
type "poff" then "pon" until I get the correct prompt to show.

Thank you,

Monte