Re: Some newbie questions

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Paulo J Matos aka PDestroy wrote:

> 1 - My X server since installation starts automaticly... I don't want it to
> auto - start. How do I take that option out?

remove the S90xdm file from your /etc/rc2.d (maybe all rcx.d, but 2 for
sure, as it's the default runlevel)

> 2 -  Is there any kind of autoexec.bat at Debian? Where?

there's about a half-dozen files that take over parts of the utility of
autoexec.bat.  It depends on what you want to do.

> 3 - How do I mount my Windows file system at hda1? Then so it'll mount every
> time I log, I'll have to add the mount command to the Debian autoexec right?

that'd be /etc/fstab

here's mine
#
<pass>
/dev/hda3       /               ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0    1
/dev/hda1       none            swap    sw                         0    0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                   0    0
/dev/hdb1       /usr            ext2    defaults                   0    2
/dev/hda2       /msdos          umsdos  defaults                   0    2
/dev/sda1       /syquest        umsdos  defaults                   0    2

hda2 is my win3x partition, hda3 is my root partition, and hdb is given
over completely to linux--sda1 is a syquest EZ135 that I keep transient
stuff on.

> 4 - How do I configure my PCBIT ISDN card. I installed the module but it
> says when it is loading it that there are still 3 files to be configured at
> /etc/isdn... How do I configure them ? Isn't there an ISDN How-to somewhere?

sort of there's a page (not a LDP HOWTO)

http://www.muc.de/~hm/linux/linux-isdn.html

There's an unmaintained HOWTO in the LDP, but it's specialized for ppp

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/mini/PPP-over-ISDN

YMMV--I don't do ISDN, so can't vouch much for the info