Initiating ppp session on netmodem

We have a debian box accessing a Shiva LanRover 2E/Plus over our internal
TCP/IP network. We can telnet to the command shell of the netmodem and can
initiate normal dial-out commands ok but are unable to initiate a ppp session
either through the command shell of the modem (message given that a serial
connection is required) or via pppd command.

Is it possible to initiate pppd over such a network connection?
How would we redirect the pppd command to the netmodem?
Are there any relevant docs which address this type of connection? If so,
where might we find them?

Any help would be appreciated.