problem with .Xauthority files

I installed KDE 1.1.1 on my Slink system and found I had to install xdm in
order to install kdebase.  This is where my problems began.

Using update-rc.d, I removed the links that start xdm when the machine starts.
 That way, I can start the machine and get a plain console with no xdm.

The problem is that something keeps putting .Xauthority files in my directory,
and that should not be a problem, except that they are owned root.root and
until I remove them, I cannot start X because I get either an error about
being unable to lock the file, or an error about being unable to write to the
file.

What might be the cause of this anomaly?

thanks

--
Andrew

[PGP5.0 Key ID 0x5EE61C37]