Re: NEW Samba + Printer woes

Wayne Topa wrote:

>         Subject: NEW Samba + Printer woes
>         Date: Sat, May 08, 1999 at 05:13:32PM +0000

> Quoting Jose L Gomez Dans(j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk):
> > Hi!
> >       I've finally installed samba + lprng on an ageing i386. I have two
> > parallel ports, and a printer attached to each. I'm using debian hamm.
> > This is /etc/printcap:
> > #
> > # Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of California.
> > # All rights reserved.
> > #
> > # Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
> > # provided that this notice is preserved and that due credit is given
> > # to the University of California at Berkeley. The name of the University
> > # may not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
> > # software without specific prior written permission. This software
> > # is provided ``as is'' without express or implied warranty.
> > #
> > #     @(#)etc.printcap        5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
> > #
> > # This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
> > #
> > lp|hplj4l|HP Laserjet 4L:\
> >       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lj4:\
> >       :rm=143.167.116.166:\
> >       :rp=raw:\
> >       :lp=/dev/null:\              ??????
> >       :sh:
> >       :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
> >       :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4l-filter:\
> >       :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
> >

> Just a thought, there is no printer assigned in the above printcap,
> you have lp=/dev/null??  And this works using smbclient?  Am I missing
> something here??
>
> lp|lj|lp|Brother HL-10V:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :sh:pw#80:pl#60:px#1440:mx#0:\
>         :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet2p-filter:\
>         :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
>
> Note the :lp=/dev/lp0 if for 2.2.x kernels. If you are using 2.0.x it
> would be :lp=/dev/lp1
>
> HTH
>
> >       Then, samba is set up so that anyone in our domain may print to this
> > server, without needing passwords or stuff like that. /etc/smb.conf looks
> > like this:
> >
> > [global]
> >       workgroup=radar&communications
> >       server string=Radar & Communications Printer Server
> >       hosts allow=143.167. 127.
> >       load printers=yes
> >       printcap name=/etc/printcap
> >       printing=bsd
> >       log file = /var/log/samba/log/%m
> >       max log size = 20
> >       security=share
> >       socket options=TCP_NODELAY
> >       guest account=pcguest
> >       dns proxy=no
> > [printers]
> >       comment=Printers at skint
> >       path=/var/spool/lpd/lp
> >       browseable=no
> >       guest ok = yes
> >       writable=no
> >       printable=yes
> [...]

The printcap is designed to work with a remote printer, e.g. I use such
an entry for a hplj with a build-in ethernet interface.
If you like to use local printers (direct conected to your machine) then
you have to define them in the 'lp' line without 'rm' and 'rp' line.

After this step you can make it usable to others on the network via
samba.

Michael
--
Michael Steiner, Minorgasse 35, A-1140 Wien, Austria