Re: changing resolve.conf for deferent providers

Micha Feigin <kamikaza_mic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it posible to make the use of deferent resolve.conf for deferent
> providers automatic?

Yes. What I do is create files relevant to the different providers I use
- there are three essential files for me: /etc/resolv.conf,
/etc/chatscrips/provider and /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. I then have
/etc/resolv.conf.eidosnet, /etc/resolv.conf.freeserve etc.,
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf.eidosnet, /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.freeserve and so
on so I have the appropriate configuration files for each provider I
use.

It is a really simple matter then of having an executable script for
each provider which copies the files around. Here is an example for one
IP, eidosnet:

cp /etc/resolv.conf.eidosnet /etc/resolv.conf
cp /etc/chatscripts/provider.eidosnet /etc/chatscripts/provider
cp /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.eidosnet /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

I call this file dial.eidosnet and I made it executable so all I do to
log on to eidosnet is run it and everything else falls into place.

My /etc/chatscripts/provider.eidosnet file looks like this:
ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT	     "NO DIALTONE"
""           ATW2DT08453331611
ogin         "gsmh@eidosnet.co.uk"
word         \qXXXXXXX

XXXXXXX is, of course, my password.

This system works flawlessly, as long as your permissions are OK on the
files involved. I make sure that as a user I am a member of the dialout
group, mail group etc.. and that the group has the ability to write to
the files and directories involved.

The programmers out there will see all this as incredibly clumsy, but
as a non-programmer I am just pleased it all works so well!!

Take care.

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net