Boot sticks on "Parallelizing fsck..."

The other night, the power went out, and after it came back on, Debian 2.2
hangs on boot.  I don't know wether my problem is related to that or the
kernel compile as listed below, but it sits forever on the line:

Parallelizing fsck version 1.14 (9-Jan-1999).

When I do a Ctrl-C, it mounts the root filesystem (/dev/hda3) as read-only,
which gives tons of errors and prevents me from logining in ('unable to
chane to ttyx for users foo').

I had some Debian 2.0 CD's around, so I installed that onto an unused
partition /dev/hda4.  I ran e2fsck on /dev/hda3, and it fixed several screen
fulls of errors.

Before the power went out, I was experementing, trying to get my IDE cdrom
to work as an ide device, and to get my ide atapi HP 7200i CDRW to work as a
scsi-emulation device, as suggested by a posting in the linux-kernel
archives.  This requires a special append=".." line in /etc/lilo.conf.
Perhaps something went wrong with the compile, so I tried the following:
1.    I booted of the Hamm cd, and did a linux root=/dev/hda3
2.    copied the kernel 2.0.33 to my win98 partition, and used loadln
But had the same problem as described above.

Any Ideas so that fsck runs properly, and /dev/hda4 will mount read/write?
>From hamm install on /dev/hda4, I could mount hda3 read/write.

Thanks,
wim.