Glibc 2.1 - more info/workarounds?

I am thinking about upgrading my Slink system to glibc 2.1. In fact I
did it when I upgraded an app using apt-get and glibc was also updated -
but I found I couldn't run Applix (I have since found a workaround) and
my JAVA apps.

It now appears that all the new unstable packages are being compiled
with glibc 2.1 so since I often make use of unstable pacakges it seems
this is the way I'll have to go.

Is there a FAQ, or other Debian document, or web page or whatever which
would be useful to me? I am particularly concerned that JAVA app won't
run. Is there a workaround for these?

Many thanks.

--
Phillip Deackes