Mouse problems in X-Windows

I've just recently purchased a new mouse, and it is supposed to be a
three-button mouse (software configurable), but two problems, 1) they
forgot to include the software, and 2) it does not respond to the "normal"
three button mouse reset codes.

Now, my main problem (I'll be satisfied using it as a two button mouse),
is that quite often when I'm on the internet I've got both an X-session
going, and am doing things on virtual terminals.  Occassionally (it
doesn't happen all the time), when I switch back to X-Windows the mouse
decides to die, it seems to be repetitively pressing the right mouse
button.

Does anyone have any ideas???

The main IC in the mouse is a EM8370BP if this helps...  It's very
generic, and was a cheapie...

Regards,
	Peter Ludwig