Debian Maintainers Food for thought

Subject: Help with apt

I cannot use apt-get at all. It seems to be working but then complains
about a package that it cannot install. It says I must install it first
then remove it. I cannot install the said package (gnotepad+) as the
installer (dpkg) refuses. And finally I am in the chicken and egg
problem.

I have experienced similar problems before and would apprectiate any help
to these kinds of problems. At the same time I would like to encourage all
Debian maintainers to think about these kind of problems. They make Debian
to look more like Windows (PLEASE take this in a good spirit. I like
Debian a lot. In fact I am the only one using it locally) to me. I cannot
understand why it does not work and I feel powerless to do anything. Apt
cannot install anything even if it is not related to gnome (I have given
up on getting it to work on my system) because it complains about the
state of that package (gnomepad+).

Can there be a way to ignore packages that cause these problems?
Would that make the system not foolproof?
Can I set it such that it notes the difficulty but continues with other
packages that are not related to the inconsistent packages?
Is the chicken and egg problem solvable?

_Thanks

Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                          daniel@eng.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	            http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa         (w) 27+21+650 2816  (h) 27+21+705 8469