disk power down

My compaq deskpro at work (running NT 4.0) spins down it's ide drives
after some period of inactivity.

Can I configure my Linux system to do the same?  Most modern IDE drives
should support this feature, is support required on the Motherboard or
Bios to make this work, or is it all in the OS?

My Linux box uses an AZZA AT socket 7 motherboard with an Intel TX
chipset and an AMD K6-233 cpu.  I think the bios does support powerdown
features but the powersupply in my box does not (might only work with
an ATX power supply).

===
Amateur Radio, when all else fails!

http://www.qsl.net/wa2mze