Re: X server crash.

My real problem is, I called CTX, which is the manufacturer of the
notebook, and they honestly told me they didn't know what they put in
their notebooks themselves.  They even suggest that I open the notebook
to try my luck.  Does any one know the probability of ruining the display
if I take this risk?  Thanks!

Chip

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Fu-Dong Chiou wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all that responds to my questions.  I believe the reason why X
> > server crashes on my system is a minor configuration problem.  Here's the
> > error message.  I'd appreciate it if anyone can direct me to fix this
> > problem.  Thanks in advance!

> > Fatal server error:
> > No valid modes found.
> >

> Just like it says: you have no valid modes. Fortunately for you it's not
> crashing, just exiting with an informative error message. :-) It could be
> because you put in the wrong values for your card/monitor
> (hsync/vsync/etc.) or it could be that you need to add some new modes.
> Most likely the former. I'm not sure how laptops work here so maybe the
> debian-laptop people will know.
>
> Unfortunately I can't tell you what values to use; it just depends on the
> card, etc.
>
> You're using the 'generic' chipset driver, which means X isn't grokking
> your hardware, which means even if you get this going it's gonna be pretty
> slow and low quality. If you can find an appropriate card-specific driver,
> it may well be able to figure out the hardware better and find a usable
> mode.
>
> If you haven't tried using xf86config, give it a whirl; go through slowly
> and answer all the questions accurately and it should work. (I missed the
> start of the thread, so disregard if you already tried that...)
>
> Havoc

Best wishes,
Chip