bash weirdness under potato?

I did a fresh install of slink.  The installation is pretty complete as
far as the number of packages go.  I configured everything the way I
wanted.  I worked very well!  (Nice job Debian developers!!)

Since I don't mind living on the bleeding edge with this particular
machine, I decided to upgrade to potato.  After that, bash started
acting flaky.

I can login and run any program I want; that works just fine. However, if
I have the shell prompt and, say, try to use tab completion, bash will
just die (no core dumps).  I will be left looking at the 'login:' prompt.
It also dies if I am typing in a long path and don't use tab completion at
all.  And it dies randomly, too.  I can just login and do nothing more
after some random amount of time (< 5 minutes), I'm logged out.

bash is acting almost it's environment variable TMOUT is set, but that
doesn't seem to be the case.  It is possible there is something weird
about my machine (AMD 486/133 with 36 MB).  However, that is not likely.
This machine is up 24/7 and normally is running Red Hat v5.2 (installed on
a separate partition).  Never a sign of flakiness.  Slink also was very
stable in over a week of running.  Does anyone have any ideas what is
going on?

           bob
--
        bob billson       email: bob@goleader.com       ham: kc2wz