Re: X eating all my memory!!

*- On  3 May, Havoc Pennington wrote about "Re: X eating all my memory!!"

> On Sun, 2 May 1999, Brian Servis wrote:
>>
>> This is crazy!  Why is X taking so much memory?  This is the result of
>> ps axmw trimmed to show only X and netscape(4.5glibc2). The machine has
>> only been up just under 2 days.
>>

> Remember that applications can allocate server-side resources, such as
> pixmaps. Pixmaps are pretty big. So if an app is buggy and doesn't
> deallocate these things the X process can get largish.
>
> Not to say the X server isn't at fault, but it's more likely to be a buggy
> application.

More info.

Ok, this makes since.  But this behavior only started showing up after
I upgraded from Vincent's 3.3.3.1-0 packages to Joey's 3.3.3.1-1
packages.  I run Matlab and have noticed that the apperance of the
figure windows causes the X memory to increase.  So either Matlab has a
problem that was being blocked by -0 packages and all previous X
packages back since '93 or something changed in -1.

Now the problem is to trace it down.

--
Brian