printing permissions?

When I do
cat /tmp/r | /dev/lp1

I get sh: /dev/lp1: Permission denied

It is the same for a normal user, root or lp.

Is that why I get the following message from lpq?
lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    jhspies    317  (standard input)                      854 bytes
2nd    root       318  /tmp/r                                855 bytes

My permissions are:

crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   1 Jan  1  1970 /dev/lp1
crw-rw----   1 root     lp         6,   2 Jan  1  1970 /dev/lp2

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live
      peaceably with all men."        Romans 12:18