Re: diskless box: fanless too ?

Michael Stenner wrote:

> On Tue, 4 May 1999, John C. Ellingboe wrote:
> >Michael Stenner wrote:
> >> I disagree that the cpu would need a fan - I used to run a very old P60
> >> (a REALLY hot chip) without a fan (fan kept breaking...) and it was
> >> toasty but caused no problems.  If you choose a cpu that runs cool, you
> >> should be OK.  You can also look into thermoelectric (or Peltier)
> >> coolers -- no moving parts.
> >
> >You still have to get the heat (cpu + Peltier device) out of the box.
> >Even though the cpu will be cool, when using a Pelier device the box
> >will become quite toasty.  One of the heat pipe devices would be a
> >better choice.  There you would have a heatsink plate mounted on the
> >cpu and a tube running out side the case to a heatsink.
>
> Admittedly, I may not be as cautious as I should be about these things,
> but it doesn't seem to me that the box would necessarily get
> dangerously hot.  When I was doing it, I left the box open, but as I
> said, that was a VERY hot chip.
>         I've never heard of a "heat pipe", but that sounds quite nice.
> I'm a little confused: is it a true pipe (i.e. with air inside) that
> relies on convection? or is it something like a copper rod?

The heat pipe works similar to a refrigeration system in that a
refrigerant is evaporated by the heat on one end and condensed on the
other end by an appropriate radiator.  A wick type material in the
tube returns the liquid back to the warm end even if it is above the
cold end.  I am sure that the heat sink above the heat source would be
more efficient though.

I ran across articles on them in some of the electronics engineering
trade magazines several years ago.  Try Electronics Design,
Electronics Design News or something similar.  There is also some
electronic component rags out there some where that may list them, but
I don't remember any names.

>         I must also say that the suggestions about controlling the
> Peltier cooler are quite good.  You can buy a ready-made device for
> cheap.
>
>                                         -Michael
>
>   Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
>   Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner@phy.duke.edu
>   Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305

John C. Ellingboe
www.guntersville.net
begin:          vcard
fn:             John C.  Ellingboe   -   KE4BPW
n:              Ellingboe   -   KE4BPW;John C.
org:            The Guntersville Computer Center
email;internet: john@guntersville.net
title:          Owner/Admin
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE