retry timeout-error

Hallo,

Forgive me that I ask this the second time.  I did not get any response
the first time.

For the last week or more I have experienced a strange problem on my mail:
retry timeout-errors on certain mail.

I have a dialup system to my ISP ans is using exim as mailagent on a
Debian 2.0 system.

What is strange to me is that this error is very "selective" eg.  I sent
mail to a list of 41 people and when I do a mailq a few minutes later
(before I dialed in to the ISP) the following shows (the list is shortened
to save some space):

  1.7K 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 <jhspies@futurenet.co.za>
          aabasson@yebo.co.za
        D CMarais@dist.co.za
        D HJBC@akad.sun.ac.za
          conni@mjvn.co.za
        D johanzac@iafrica.co.za
        D vdberg@afrik.unp.ac.za
          barry1@mweb.co.za

Only the messages with the D got the time-out error and I have no idea
why.

In the /var/log/exim/mainlog I find the following:

1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 == HJBC@akad.sun.ac.za R=smarthost
defer (-1):
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 == CMarais@dist.co.za R=smarthost
defer (-1):
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 == aabasson@yebo.co.za R=smarthost
defer (-1):
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** CMarais@dist.co.za: retry timeout
exceeded
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** HJBC@akad.sun.ac.za: retry timeout
exceeded
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** johanzac@iafrica.co.za: retry
timeout exceeded
1999-05-05 14:14:10 10f0Yy-0001iX-00 ** vdberg@afrik.unp.ac.za: retry
timeout exceeded

Is there anybody who knows exim well that can help me please?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love
      thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto
      you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do
      good to them that hate you, and pray for them which
      despitefully use you, and persecute you;"
                                     Matthew 5:43,44