Debian 2.1 install help!

Hi all,

I just installed Debian 2.1 on a DX2 100 MHz labtop.  I am encountering two
problems after the installation, and would appreciate your help.  The
first one, I first used a 3Com ethernet/modem combo card to do ftp
install, but since I do not have a permanant IP, I am actually using the
modem.  However, I was unable to make the switch, or don't know how.  In
any case, now if I use pon, it will dial the #, and after it connects,
the ethernet card will intervene to look for IP address.  Is there a way
to terminate ethernet card?  Secondly, my X server crashes when I
startx.  I used xf86config, and thought everything should be fine, but
just can't seem to get X to work.  Is there a way to troubleshoot this
problem?  The error message is several pages, and basically it says it
cannot find a mode.  Is it possible to log the error message?  Thanks!

Best wishes,
Chip