PPP and masquerading

Yeah, I ran into this same problem while changing my gateway over from one
machine to another. I had forgotten to take out the default route on the
NEW masquerade system, so PPP didn't set the default route. But I was
getting 'Permission denied' errors from my ISP's nameserver from the
masquerade machine. Manually replacing the default route and restarting
ipmasq did not solve anything. Rebooting the entire network fixed it.
Also, interestingly enough, I upgraded the old gateway to kernel 2.2.4 to
use the video framebuffer, did not compile in anything other than basic
networking, and REMOVED the ipmasq and port forwarding packages. Turned
out I had forgotten to update the default gateway on my single windows
machine, so it was still sending to the old gateway. Well, it's STILL
connecting to the external network quite fine. Why?