Re: swapfile and more ram

add|ct|on wrote:
  >my question is this: i'm soon to be getting more ram, and i was
  >wondering if there's a way to resize my swap to make use of it. i have
  >16 ram now, and my swap partition is about 32 megs. is it possible to
  >make it bigger after i move up to 32-48 ram without messing with
  >partitions again? i'm a relative newbie to this so if you reply please
  >speak in simple terms <g>. thanks!

The short answer is, No.  You cannot extend your swap partition if your
disk is already fully partitioned.  If you have any free space, you
can create an additional swap partition.

It seems unlikely, however, that you will need any additional swap space.
The purpose of swap space is to extend your memory space.  If you try
to run a program that needs more RAM than there is available, older
pages will get swapped out into your swap space.  It isn't used at all
until it is needed; if you run the same programs after your RAM upgrade,
your swap requirement should decrease, not increase.

At the momemt, you have an effective 48Mb available to running programs;
if the demand exceeds that, you will get a program aborting for lack of
memory.  After your upgrade, you will have 64-80Mb available.

If you are increasing your memory because you are going to have more
programs running simultaneously, there may indeed be a case for increasing
your swap space.

     "For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly
      Father will also forgive you; But if ye forgive not
      men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive
      your trespasses."         Matthew 6:14,15