Re: Looking for a good book...

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Matthew Roberts wrote:

> I'm a Debian Newbie (just installed my first system yesterday).  I'm
> looking for a good Linux book, preferably something specifically for
> Debian.  I would like the purchase to benefit Debian.
>
> I saw the Debian User's Guide at debian.org.  Is that basically all
> there is?  If I buy it does any of the proceeds go to Debian?

Matt,

Debian specific books were recently discussed on this list.
Please check the archives in the last two weeks for suggestions
beyond those I offer here.

Linux Press (www.linuxpress.com) has several books that are Debian
specific: One I have first hand knowledge of is the Debian Linux
User's Guide by Dale Scheetz.  It comes with 4 Debian 2.1 CDs. It
costs about $40.  I have a copy of the 1.3 version that has proved
useful with all versions of Debian since I bought it.  It comes
with 30 days of email support from the author. You will find that
the many, many contributors to this list will help you as well.

BTW: There is an html version that can be downloaded and used.
Some one creating a .deb package of the book as well.

There are some non-Debian specific books from O'Reilly: Mat
Welch's Running Linux, Linux in a Nut Shell (brief command syntax)
I seem to recall having heard about a "Linux Administration", and
there is Sobel's Hands On Linux, that deals with Caldera's
version. I have several of these, use and like them.

Dale has another book with Linux Press. Go to the web page and
look at "books."

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                        (Thanks guys!)