search facility for apt?

Hello everyone...

Just got a simple question here.

Is there a facility to do a text search on the list of packages apt
has in /var/state/apt/lists?

It doesn't seem to be a part of apt-get and I haven't seen too many
other utilities.

Basicaly, something like "show me all the packages that have the word
quake in their description (or name, or maintainer, or whatever.)"

Does this exist?

Today I put together a little Python script that does exactly this,
but I'm wondering if anyone else is working on something similar to
avoid duplication of effort.  If no one else is, I'll polish it up a
little and release it.

my thanks to you

Preston