Motorola ModemSurfr 28.8 + Linux 2.2.x?

Hi,

 someone here asked me this the other day, I couldn't find an answer
 and I was left pondering.  He's using Debian 2.1, and he tells me his
 modem (motorola modemsurfr 28.8) works ok with kernel 2.0.36, but it
 doesn't work with 2.2.x.  With 2.2.x the modem responds to "ATZ" but
 after that it hangs and stops responding to commands.  Any ideas what
 could cause this or how could this be fixed?

 TIA,

                                        Marcelo