silly mouse question

At least I hope it's silly

Installing 2.1_r0 and I have a PS/2 mouse (says so on the mouse) plugged
onto the PS/2 port on the box.  Problem is, neither gpm nor X seem to be
happy with it (i.e. see it at all)

gpm's "autodetect" promptly rules out ALL possibilities claiming they
have a different "read() semantic" and XF86Setup lets my try any
combination I want... just that none of them work :)

any clever ideas about what to try next?  The only idea I have is to try
lots of combinations of things and hope that one works.  If anyone has
any more systematic ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305