Re: Preventing xdm from starting

In foo.debian-user, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since I installed X on my slink dist, xdm starts automaticly when I boot my computer. Normally, this is no problem, but in some circumstances I would like to quit X (ie to rebuild the kernel).
>
> My question is:
>
> How do I kill xdm, or prevent xdm from starting at boot-time (so I can start X with the startx command)?

To stop it until the next reboot, just issue the command:
[prompt]# /etc/init.d/xdm stop

To remove it completely from your system:
[prompt]# dpkg --purge xdm

To leave it installed, but keep it from starting on boot:
[prompt]# update-rc.d -f xdm remove

If you want it available in some runlevels, but not in others, just modify
your symlinks with 'update-rc.d'.  See man update-rc.d for details.

-Mitch