Re: changing user name

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 05:57:46PM -0700, Marlon Urias wrote:
> If I get a user who wants to change only their username how do I go about
> doing a thorough job? Simply changing the passwd entry doesnt seem to be
> the right thing because then all the files with ownership
> oldLogin.oldLogin
> wont be availabe for user newLogin.	Thanks for the help.

Actually, changing the name in the password file is exactly what you want
to do.  Everything else in the system is using the user ID number to keep
track of who owns what.  (The user ID is the third field in the passwd
file.)  Use the ``vipw'' utility, as it will do the right thing with
respect to shadow password files, etc.  Also, if a group was created with
the same name as the user, you might wish to edit the /etc/group file and
change it there as well.

Please send Debian-related email to debian-user @ orbits.com.

For custom software, see:  http://www.SilberSoft.com/