no sound devices

 Hi,
when I install Slink I end up with no sound devices.
Compile the kernel to include the regular stuff and sound.
When I reboot, the sound card (MAD/Mozart AD 1845) is initialised
but I cannot control the mixer or send anything to /dev/audio, etc.

Reading /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux gave me the fix.
When I ran cat /dev/sndstat, I got      No such file or directory.

OK now I've got it fixed, but why was it there ?
Never seen this before.
--

Cheers,
Colin Tree